Thursday, March 12, 2009

Aggression


I've got an aggressive Great Dane coming in today for a consultation.
Generally, Danes are not aggressive dogs. But as I always say - never say never. Any dog can bite given provocation.
They swear this one hasn't had any. Hmmmm........
Their vet told them it would help if they neutered him.
I am strongly in favor of spaying and neutering - to the point of rolling my eyes (involuntarily!! really!!) when people say 'I want to breed'. Trust me - there are thousands of dogs just as sweet and wonderful as yours dying all over the country today because of lack of homes. Don't be part of the problem.
Neutering can help with many things - marking behavior, easing frustration, health issues, - some minor behavior changes - but its not a magic wand against aggression.


Once your dog has bitten - and this one has three times - only the last two were 'bad!' I'm told - you can never trust your dog again.
Never.
Again.
You can manage many of the situations dog will find himself in- teach him other things to do - socialize, socialize, socialize, more, bigger and better - put basic commands in place - but I would never trust someone's life, or face, to your dog's judgement again.
Be smart and Be safe.

No comments: