Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The secret to finding dog training time!

One of the most common complaints I get is 'I didn't have time!' to do whatever was needed with the dog.

No time to provide exercise opportunities.
No time to teach a trick.
No time to practice desired class skills that they paid to learn.

And of course the big one - no time to housebreak.

I understand no time. I really do.
I also know I make time for the things that are important to me. I make time to read my paper every day. Very rare are the days when there isn't enough time for me to do that. I almost always check and answer my email. There is time for that. I mention tv and there is a show or two that people always watch. Won't miss!

So one time trick that I use is - train your dog during commercials. You remember those commercial things. People are trying to sell you something and you fast forward through them. Stop fast forwarding through them. Let them roll - hit the mute button and do something else.

Teach your dog a trick. Work on stay. Call them to come three times and give them treats and kisses. Reinforce down. Go out and ring the doorbell and have the dog do what you chose for them to do instead of becoming hysterical idiots barking and jumping at the door.

Then sit down and watch your show again. Then next commercial set - do it again.
There is no hard and fast law that training has to take place in cute twenty minute blocks of time. Incorporate the training time into your day. Into down time, into time already being spent with your dog. Two or three minutes of commercial time is so much better than no time.

No comments: