Monday, January 5, 2009

Intermediate class

A few months ago, I started to Follow a Class. We went eight weeks with a crazy fun puppy class.
Thursday night I'm starting what looks to be a VERY exciting Intermediate class I'm going to follow along with here.
So far signed up are two goldens (both named Riley oddly enough),

a bloodhound, a sheltie, a gorgeous buff cocker, and a couple more.
Intermediate class focuses on the three D's of dog training - distance, duration, and distraction. We add all those in to the basic commands of sit, stay, come, leave, drop, take.
Heel work is a very fun focus. Sit stay while another dog heels around is a challenge in intermediate class. I also like to teach 'finish' - where you call your dog to come and they end up sitting at your left side in heel position. People think you are brilliant if your dog does that.
One thing I add into my intermediate class is tricks. I teach a trick a week. Just because its fun and I can.

The other thing I do is more intensive focus on the needs of the class. "I don't want my dog to charge out the front door" or "He's Got to stop jumping on the furniture" and we play with all the techniques I know to change these disliked behaviors.

I'm going to have a blast playing with this class and my new camera!
Follow along with me!
Enjoy!

(nah, it has nothing to do with anything. I just liked the picture!)

No comments: