Friday, December 19, 2008

The Other End of the Leash

There is so much I don't know about dog training. So many different ways to do things, so many ways to handle issues, that I'm always on the lookout for information. Trying to learn how to do things better.
One thing I've been reading about lately is proper leash techniques. How do you hold the leash, what is the best way to keep control.

I've never been a two handed leash handler. I read that is right, proper, but to me, its awkward. I like the leash in my left hand, held loosely. The dog knows I'm there, he doesn't need tension on the leash to figure it out. That is a hard concept to get over to nervous people who like to keep the dog 'right here!' I've been working with several very anxious owners lately and this has come up often.

Relax. Deep breath. The calmer you are the calmer the dog is going to be. Really. Even though my leash is not strangling my dog, my emotions are running right down that leash, to the dog's central nervous system.
He feels me wonder if he's going to attack that little yappy dog down the street. He feels me worry about that dead squirrel in the road. He knows that person heading toward us makes me nervous.
My emotions go to the dog. Especially the dogs who are already high strung and antsy.
To me, your emotions, what you are conveying to the dog, your attitude, is much more important that holding the leash in the 'proper' position.

No comments: