Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New puppy/old dog


A typical conversation I have this time of year:
"We just got a new puppy! Our older dog Hates it! They fight all the time! I tell the old dog to quit taking the puppy's toys! I tell the older dog to quit picking on the baby! I try to tell baby everything is going to be fine! Pick him up, shove the old dog away! It's getting worse! How do I make the older dog stop?"

Sigh.

Let's all hold hands, sway to the music and sing together 'dogs are not people. They don't think like people. They don't act like people. We can dress them up and treat them like fur babies all we want and they will still be dogs.'

Strange but true.


I ask "is there blood? Does puppy end up going back for more?"

The answer to these questions are always "no" and "yes".

Then let them settle it themselves. Stay out of it. Don't coddle puppy. Don't demonize older dog. Walk away if possible. If walking away isn't possible, interfere as unbiasedly as you can.


In another post I will talk about alpha dog dynamics - but the short answer is 'don't make things worse by doing what you are doing!'

2 comments:

Country Girl said...

Hi, Kate. I saw a comment you left over on Kacey's Wine on the Keyboard and for a moment, I thought I'd left it. (I'm also Kate).
I have a dog I post about all the time. George. Over the holidays, he did a low growl at one of my little nieces. I told her to stay away from him.
While walking in the woods, we came across a friendly couple walking the other way. When they bent down to pet him, he gave another low growl.
He's never done this before and I'm afraid to take him places. He spends all of his time with my husband, who's recuperating from brain cancer. Ugh. I am so sorry to make this so long.

Kate said...

Hi, Kate - glad to have you and with some more information - will love to help you!
How old is George? what kind - border collie, right? I popped over and saw your blog when I thought I was you! smile.
Okay - give me some basics - how old, how long have you had him, is he neutered, any history of aggression? How ill is your husband (I'm so sorry, btw!) And we will go from there.